International Office

    Health Insurance and Health

    All students must show proof of health insurance by the time of enrollment the latest.
    Different rules apply to students from EU and non EU-countries.

    Students from EU countries (e.g. Erasmus-program)

    As a citizen from an EU country you do not need to take out a German health insurance. You must carry your EHIC card (= European health insurance card) with you and hand the International Office a copy of it or a proof of your health insurance.
    The same applies to students from the UK: You are required to carry your GHIC card (= UK Global Health Insurance card) with you and hand a copy of it to the International Office or a proof of your health insurance.
    Furthermore, students who are from countries that have a social security agreement with Germany do not need to take out a German health insurance. These are for example Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia or Turkey.

    Students from non-EU countries (e.g. overseas)

    Students from countries, whose health insurance is not recognized in Germany, must take out their own health insurance with a statutory health insurance provider. The monthly contribution is around 120 €.
    You will need the following to take out health insurance

    • Letter of admission
    • passport sized photo
    • IBAN of the German bank account

    Subsequently, proof of health insurance must be submitted to the International Office of the University.

    For further information on health insurance in Germany:

    Please find here an overview of the different health insurance providers in Germany:

    First Aid – an illustrated Health Dictionary

    A basic vocabulary for health and illness in Germany.

    Free print version (order form in German):