International Office

    Residency Regulation & Visa

    1) Entering Germany without a Visa
    Passport holders from an EU Member State and from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, do not require a Visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany. However, you need to ensure your passport is valid for the time of your exchange.
    If you have a valid passport from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea or the USA, it is possible to enter Germany without Visa and then register for a residence permit directly at the local foreigners' registration office (Ausländerbehörde) or at the civil office (Bürgerbüro)

    2) Entering Germany with a Visa
    If you're planning to study at HMDK Stuttgart as a non-EU student, you will need a Visa and residency permit - depending on your nationality. Please apply for the visa once you have received your acceptance.
    As the legal residence status is your own responsibility, please make sure the exact requirements are edited. We recommend to apply for a long-term Visa (valid for up to one year) at the German embassy or consulate in your home country before (!) travelling to Germany.
    For more information please click here:

    3) For chinese incoming students:
    Chinese students in Germany need an APS document. The Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) is a service facility of the Cultural Department of the German Embassy in Beijing in cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). For more information please click here: